504 Parent Rights

The following is a description of the rights granted by federal law to students identified as disabled under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The intent of the law is to keep you fully informed concerning decisions about your child and to inform you of your rights if you disagree with any of these decisions. You have the right to:

  1. File a grievance with the school district over an alleged violation of Section 504 regulations.
  2. Have an evaluation that draws on information from a variety of sources.
  3. Be informed of any actions to qualification under Section 504 and provision of a plan for services.
  4. Examine all relevant records.
  5. Receive all information in the parent's/guardian's native language and primary mode of communication.
  6. Periodic redetermination of qualification and an assessment before any significant change in program/service modifications.
  7. Request an impartial hearing if there is a disagreement with the school division's proposed action.
  8. Be represented by counsel in the impartial hearing process.
  9. Appeal the decision of the impartial hearing officer's decision to a court of competent jurisdiction.
  10. Contact ...